5.30.2009

Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows

I keep finding myself waiting for my life to begin - tomorrow. Tomorrow, when I’m finished with grad school. Tomorrow, when I’m doing something I’m proud of. Tomorrow, when I’ve got a bit of money saved up to go…just to go. Hell, anywhere’ll do. Tomorrow, when I’m old enough that nobody will feel the need to tell me how to live. Or at least tomorrow, when I’ll be confident enough to tell those ppl to take that advice and shove it…somewhere inappropriate. Tomorrow, when I’ll start making a difference.

How foolish though. That pride and that confidence will only come from living and falling. Falling hard at times, but then picking myself back up. And grad school, who knows if this jaunt will ever find its destination! And those people? Those people that know where I can find success and happiness – they’ll always think they know better than I. And that’s fine. I’ll listen, hell, I’ll even nod my head. I’ll file your advice away into that little compartment in my head dubbed “Worldly wisdom;” and then I’ll go join all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn – the giant doing cartwheels, the statue wearing high heels, the tambourines and the elephants and the band.

So how about I start that life today instead? I'll start it with this dance around the living room, by myself. I’m locking the front door to the world's forwarded troubles, and sneaking out the backdoor with all the happy creatures. We’ll be the ones dancing on the lawn, with CCR screaming from the surround sound. Hopefully the neighbors will hear.

(Thanks to CCR – that prodigious American band, born in the 1960’s but still rocking us all today – and their vivacious (if not slightly drug-induced) lyrics.)

2 comments:

SAE said...

hahaha, this blog cracks me up..right after i wrote it, i put on my shield, saddled up my white steed and headed out to conquor the world!

Anonymous said...

I randomly ended up reading your post... extremely strong writing! You can undoubtedly become the best writer I have known.