6.01.2009

Glory Days

I ignore my soul's inquiries,
And start down the path you have set.
My feet are blistered, my knees scarred,
And where are you to help me up?

Starved of my own avidity,
I glut myself with your ambitions.
My body gags at the purging,
My betraying mind discounts my efforts.

I shake hands
I smile
I talk in your words

I tear apart
I crumble
I lie to the world

Peeled back my skin with knives of glory,
I've put on the faces you've approved.
But the phantom pain has not faded,
It's time to find a face of my own.

The stakes you've laid have deserted me,
Ripped from my bones to leave them in shreds.
Fragments left for welding together,
A composition distinct of your will.

I've been directed
I've followed
I've nodded my head

I'll break free
I'll abandon
I'll finally assail

No comments: